Monday, December 3, 2007

Commuting Chronicles 2

Blue Collar Cyclists

(Originally posted Spring 2007 to tal-rides)

In my first post last November, I described how my commute to Panama City from Tallahassee works, and also told a scary story about strange noises and a very angry (if not rabid) raccoon. Here is post 2:

First, a review of my commute (skip this if you've read CC1)

1. From my home on Lake Shore Drive, I cycle to the FSU campus where a commuter van departs about 3:15pm for Panama City. This van is for faculty who teach in PC, unfortunately not for students. The van operators allow me to put my bike on the van, in the back, behind all the seats.

2. The van lets us all out at the FSU campus in Panama City. There I wheel to my office and prepare for teaching a night class, 5:00 - 7:30pm Central time.

3. After class and the usual talking with students and other things, I saddle up for my other "home". This ride takes me over the Hathaway bridge to Panama City Beach and west to Beckrich Rd. My home-away-from-home is near Beckrich and Hutchison. This part of the ride is at night.

Total on bike: about 12 miles (5 in TLH and 7 in PC).

Three days later, I reverse everything, with the night leg the return trip from FSU back to Lake Shore.

Night Riders

This has been a very good experience. Of course, I feel very, very "hip" by managing to commute 112 miles without using a personal powered vehicle. But more, it is FUN. There is no better word. Riding in an urban setting is exciting (sometimes more than exciting), and it makes me feel powerful inside myself to know I have the skills and toughness to survive without a fear meltdown. I also meet interesting other wildlife. (Ref the raccoon story.)

Particularly interesting is how many people are out and about on bicycles, at night. I have talked to a few, and my overall impression is that these are folks who did not take up cycling because they fell in love with it in a spin class. These are DUIers and people who have to choose between a car and a roof over their head (and over their family's heads).

But another impression I have is that they have come to enjoy using the bike, for many of the reasons I enjoy it. The only negative I have had expressed is that their "friends" (meaning, I think, people they work with) tease them about using a bike - "Hey Garcia, where's your truck?"


No comments: